Remodeling your bathroom will make it look more elegant and attractive. Beautiful bathrooms improve your mood, and they are easy to remodel because of their size.
Here are some valuable tips to ensure your bathroom renovation is an exciting and rewarding adventure.
- Choose a Bathroom Layout
Before you start to remove or change elements of your bathroom, develop a new design. For a DIY project, choose a bathroom design that suits your vision and skill set.
Try to nail down the following design elements before you begin the bathroom remodel:
* Color scheme: Decide your shades and hues, ensure your bathroom tile colors blend with your paint.
* Fixture replacement: Will you install a new shower, tub, or sink?
* Utility location: Know where the plumbing pipes and valves are.
* Space for storage: Expanding your space for storing toiletries and towels with additional shelving, hooks, and cabinets.
While choosing your colors, remember that you can make your bathroom look larger by picking colors from the white or light color spectrum. Using dark colors will make the room look smaller.
- Put Your Tools and Supplies Together
If you are an active DIY enthusiast, you should already have some of the essential tools you need for the renovation. But the toolset you will need will vary depending on the type of work you need to do.
For a typical bathroom remodel, you will need the following tools: safety gloves, face mask, goggles, caulking gun, hammer, silicone sealant, tape measure, power drill, stud finder, chisel, bucket, hacksaw, adjustable wrench, and screwdriver.
- Remove Old Bathroom Fixtures
For a total or partial bathroom remodel, you can begin by removing fixtures and the drywall.
To avoid making serious mistakes during the remodeling, here are some of the steps you need to take:
* Drain and remove the toilet
* Take off bath tiles to rework bathtub or new shower plumbing
* Take off the insulation from your walls; use your mask, goggles, and gloves.
* Remove mirrors, vanities, cabinets, floor tiles, baseboards, and other items you intend to replace.
- Install Your New Bathtub or Shower
After removing old features from your bathroom, you are ready to set up new fixtures. For a bathtub or shower replacement, you need to choose a pan or basin that fits perfectly into the new layout and space where the tub sits.
Before installing a new tub basin or shower, check the floor carefully. If you discover any signs of water damage or rotten wood, you must replace it before installing the new shower.
- Put Up New Features and Fixtures
The next thing to install after the shower is the new vanity and cabinets. You may need to adjust your wiring if the dimensions of the new ones are larger or smaller than those you removed.
Add new floor tiles. Mark reference lines at 90 degrees to the wall. These reference lines will allow you to lay the tiles in straight lines and prevent an ugly-looking tiling job.
- Set up Your New Drywall
This step is in two parts: cutting and nailing. You need to measure the lengths around your vanity and use them to cut boards that will fit perfectly. Setting up your drywall is a lengthy process. But as soon as you start to nail the boards, you can move faster.
Here are some tips to keep in mind as you install your drywall:
* Cover seams with drywall mud and tape
* On the shower wall, replace the drywall with cement board
* Add a coat of waterproofing membrane to the cement board to prevent water damage.
Once you’ve completed the drywall, you can add color to your bathroom.
- Add More Lighting Fixtures
Traditional bathroom lighting is inadequate. The single lighting fixture hanging from the ceiling does not provide enough illumination for looking at your hair and face in the mirror.
To boost lighting around your mirror, install additional lighting around your bathroom mirror with sconces. If you plan to have relaxing baths at night, you can install a dimmer switch.
With these bathroom renovation tips, you can spruce it up and make it look more colorful. Completing your bathroom remodel will also add value to your home and give you a strong sense of fulfillment.